Saturday, May 8, 2010

Thomas the Train Cake

So I ended up making a simple chocolate cake for my birthday, I didn't even decorate it really. I just covered the cake in icing and chocolate ganache. I didn't have time to go all out.

My cousin called me last minute and she wanted a Thomas the Train cake for her son's 3rd birthday. Normally I would have said no since it was such short notice. But I felt bad, I'm such a wuss. I have a hard time saying no, especially to family. Her son is allergic to dairy and eggs so she needed a vegan cake. I knew if I didn't make the cake for him, he wasn't going to get any cake at his birthday party. And I couldn't let that happen.

I decided to try a new recipe I found here.

I wasn't able to taste the cake since I'm allergic to soy but my cousin said it was "Delicious!" :)

Anyway here's a picture of the cake.



It was vegan vanilla cake with guava fruit filling. I cut out Thomas with SCAL. I used the Plantin Schoolbook cartridge for the grass. For the lettering I used the FMM Funky Alphabet Tappits.

I think it came out cute, even though I didn't have that much time.

12 comments:

  1. Can you use your own fondant in the cricket machine and if so how thick should it be? thanks.Thinking of buying a Cricut. Please respond on you blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can use homemade fondant, I just perfer Satin Ice fondant. It should be rolled out really thin. Almost see thru

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you decorate some really cool cakes!! Love your Jessica Rabbit cake too!

    I am going to share your blog addy with my Wilton Cake Decorating students for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGoodness! That is tooo cute! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so much better than the thomas cake I made for my son a few years ago...I made railroad tracks out of hershey bars and black icing and just stuck a thomas train on top...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So did you use Satin Fondant on this cake? Would love to know which materials you used for each cake when cutting on the Cricut. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep I also use Satin Ice fondant, its my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did you get it to cut so cleanly? All the tutorials I've seen, seem to tear the fondant/gum paste.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I add tylose powder to my fondant. It makes the fondant stronger so it cuts easier, without any tearing.

    ReplyDelete